January - Superior Extrusion begins aluminum extrusion
plant. Firm soon expands to two shifts with 50 employees.
- Headstart and Marquette General Hospital Behavioral
Health Services begin operations in new Sawyer Medical
Development Department/Marquette County receive "Facility
of the Year" award from the National Association
of Installation Developers.
- Captain's Lounge and Restaurant opens.
- YMCA assumes operation of West Branch Health &
-Second annual Sawyer EXPO organized by local businesses
to showcase Sawyer's existing and potential opportunities
- MACASU manages Little Trout Lake recreation area.
- New substation installed to provide improved, consistent
- Sawyer Dental Clinic, operated by Marquette County
Health Department, opens in Sawyer Medical Center.
- Salvation Army opens Salvation Army Youth Center with
the support of Forsyth Township and the Sault Tribe.
- "The Sky's the Limit", The Mining Journal,
September 22, 1999. Twelve thousand-foot runway, new
larger terminal, and international designation increase
business potential and service.
- 14,000-square foot addition opens at K.I.Sawyer Elementary
School. Sawyer's K-6 enrollment reaches 500 by September,
December - Sawyer Community Development Workgroup forms
under auspices of Education & Human Services Committee
of the Lake Superior Community Partnership. Goals are
to improve public perception and quality of life at
- K.I. Processing begins demolition at central heat
plant with initial plans to build a potato processing
February - DELPHI Automotive reaches lease agree
ment with Marquette County for an automotive testing
- Community dialogues take place to learn what residents
want for their community.
- Frank the Mover begins commercial moving operation
May - Community Coordination Office opens at 269 Canberra.
covered by donations, grants, volunteers.
- First annual community flower planting.
- American Communications Network (A C N) call center
begins taking calls. Predictions of up to 750 jobs
- 2000 & 2001 MACASU operates Little Trout Lake
in partnership with Forsyth Township, Sault Ste. Marie
Tribe/Sawyer Village and West Branch Township.